Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11...

Okay before you think the Salted One is going all sentimental on your ass, let me say first of all that this post falls under the "rants" category. I've broached this subject before in my old blog, so longtime readers won't be unfamiliar with the sentiment. Secondly, let me say that I have nothing but solemn respect for those who lost their lives 5 years ago.

Basically, I can sum it up in this. Last night Mister Litelysalted and I were watching TV and a commercial came on for a gold and silver 9/11 commemorative coin that had a relief of Twins Towers which raised up off the coin like a pop-up book, boasting that it was made from silver which was actually recovered from ground zero. It was the most gaudy and obscene thing I've ever seen in my life, and I said "You know, there's people out there that probably think 9/11 was like, the best thing ever ."

I typically don't use this blog as a political outlet, for the most part, even though I am one of the many Americans that are unwaveringly anti-Bush and have a total lack of faith in the current administration. That said, I believe the way Bush manipulated and exploited this tragedy was outrageous and vulgar. But what's worse is that I think it caused a ripple effect to the general public which is still very much visible 5 years later. By example of the President, it somehow became okay to exploit 9/11. No, not okay. Patriotic.

How else would it even be remotely acceptable to release not one but two major motion pictures about 9/11 just a scant few years after the attacks occurred? Did they start production on these films before the dust even settled? Or a dramatized miniseries on the anniversary, containing fictionalized scenes seemingly contrived for the purpose of political slander? Hell, I'm one of the few people who thought releasing a fictional love story about Pearl Harbor was crass!

It's fucking offensive, and more people should be pissed off. Regardless of whether or not we've been ingrained to think it's "unpatriotic" to feel that way. The exploitation upsets me as much as the tragedy itself. These people that died, they weren't martyrs. They were just your everyday average people, and I think it's about time that we, as a country, start showing them some respect by not fucking capitalizing off their deaths at every turn.

If you agree with what I'm saying at all, do yourself a favor and turn off the TV today. The news outlets must look forward to the 9/11 anniversary the way a kid waits for Christmas. You can pay your respects without the aide of a jacked up Fox News anchor and some flashy anniversary graphics.

Do you think I'm way off base? Maybe I am. Well if that's the case, than go find yourself a World Trade Center Touch Lamp and pick me up a 9/11 Remembrance Bear while you're at it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw that commercial over the weekend. I was in a drunken stupor and thought I was dreaming. I salute you, Miss Lightly Salted. You and I must have been cut from the same cloth. Bush and Cheney are the biggest douchebags.

Anonymous said...

amen. all of this commemorative stuf makes me think that nobody truly gives a shit about anybody in this country... or that you have to spend money on something as proof of your care... but you don't see any holocaust memorial lamps and bears! you bet, in a few years, there will be exposes on crazy old ladies that collect 9.11 memorabilia as a HOBBY. tragedy turns into stamps, paper and glue and ink.

Anonymous said...

Hardly off base kiddo. I was having a hard time putting together my feelings on what is going on and you pretty much summed it up. Well done.
Day of Rememberance I understand, tip my hat, make the sign of the cross and/or have a moment of silence for the victims. Commemorative 'soveniers" I do not. Does the money from all of that nonsense go to the Red Cross or the victim's families? nope. It goes into some sick fuck's pockets.

The ebay items are fucking sick.

matty k

litelysalted said...

Update: This is exactly the sort of shit I'm talking about.

Btw, thanks for the comments guys. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

couscouscaboose said...

Okay. That article makes me furious. Our "president" admitted long, long ago that Iraq had nothing to do with 9.11, yet he continues to use it as an excuse for this war. Why can't he tell the truth?

My fiancee is in Iraq for the third time for seemingly no reason and things like this make me craaazy.

litelysalted said...

I'm sorry to hear that couscous. :( I hope your finacee returns soon and returns safely.

couscouscaboose said...

Thank you! He's due back sometime next week and he's never going back. Alright.

Meech said...

"Holocaust memorial lamps and bears..."

L
M
A
O