Thursday, June 21, 2007

What's in a song?

Ok I admit it. It was weird and awkward, but I thought the Soprano's spoof was funny -- honest to God. Bill Clinton with the carrot sticks? Come on! That's good stuff.

Now I'll also admit that I would have happily voted for Hillary Clinton. Maybe not necessary the best of the candidates, but I surely wouldn't have minded her as President. But let's be honest, from scratch she had -- at best -- a 25% chance of winning the primaries to begin with. And even if that were to happen, obviously she's pretty much the only candidate the Democrats could put forward that wouldn't be more or less guaranteed a fucking spot in the White House, the way things are going.

But the Celine Dion campaign song? (Insert sound of a phonograph needle being violently scraped across a record.) The FUCK?! In one decidedly Howard Dean-esque moment, Hillary Clinton probably just sent whatever remote chances she had of becoming the first woman president "triumphantly screaming" down the toilet.

This is kind of a fascinating exercise in political sociology. So Hillary Clinton listens to Celine Dion. She's a 60 year old woman! 60 year old women are drawn to Celine Dion like flies on dog shit. (Seriously, talk to my mom.) Bill can smoke a doob and W can pull a Lindsay Lohan. But if you scream like a girl or listen to crappy music? Well, don't even think about becoming the leader of the free world. Hmm...

4 comments:

TK said...

GOD, LS, you're so judgmental. Celine's voice is a powerful force of beauty. She speaks to me, and if you'd only open your mind and your heart, you too could enjoy the glory of her dulcet voice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go throw up, then ram my head through a plate glass window.

Anonymous said...

John Edwards has impeccable music taste. And being from Illinois, I believe Obama will be choosing a song off the upcoming Smashing Pumpkins record.

Chris said...

A better Sopranos parody from an unlikely source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZC1jiwKMHc

Meech said...

SLAYERRRR!